Benefits of the Clang Compiler
- Complete support for C++98 and nearly complete support for C++11 Standards
- Good platform for building Source Level Tools
- The Default Compiler in XCode on Mac OS X
- Can compile FreeBSD and is the Default Compiler
- Can compile the Boost C++ Libraries
- It can be easily embedded into any application as it designed to be a library
- The API is built with tooling and IDE integration in mind.
- Good Error Messages
- Better performance that GCC
- Use of the LLVM Core libraries (The Compiler back-end)
- Target-Independent Code Generator with production level support for the following processors. (Although not all features are supported on each processor)
- JIT Support with an optional command line tool (lli) to run LLVM bitcode
- Optimizer has many Optimizations with a plug-able infrastructure to add additional optimization's
- Optional Support for implementing Garbage Collection
- Good set of Tools
- It well documented.
All of this makes me wonder how much of other things from LLVM that they may end up using all or part of as LLDB, KLEE, or VMKit
Now which features of clang and llvm will be exposed in the Embarcadero tool chain is not know yet. But it's nice to know that there is a good foundation they are building on.
I guess it might be time to sign up for Priority Preview Access to see this in action.