Wednesday, May 13, 2009

DelphiLive - Just getting started...

Well I am now sitting in Multithreading Master Class with Marco Cantu and Cary Jensen.

At the break I will be switching and sitting in on the Delphi DataSnap 2009 Deep Dive. I have considered using the new Datasnap more than once. However, I have always ended up switching to something else. I have explored the source, written several demo apps, and feel like I understand it, I am really looking to see another perspective.

On the plane flight out, I was thinking about all of the questions I might be asked during my BDE to DBX session.

One of the questions I realized I could be asked was... How do I convert paradox and/or another BDE database to a DBX supported Database.

There are several options, but I don't feel like there is a really, really easy way to do this.

So hopefully I can finish before my session tomorrow a BDE to DBX DataPump application.... But no commitments :-)

3 comments:

  1. See http://www.drbob42.com/examines/examin98.htm for an article that includes code to migrate a local (BDE) TDataSet descendant to an SQL DBMS using DBX. This article was the simple version using SQL Server and BlackfishSQL. I've extended it already (with help of the feedback I've received) to support other databases as well now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I already have some very similar code.
    The only difference is that I was using the DBX Metadata provider to create the table using code instead of SQL. I will for sure point people to what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Moshakis has an interesting blog post called Database Migrations using dbExpress Metadata.
    See http://blog.moshine.com/blog/post/2007/12/Database-Migrations-Using-DBXExpress-Metadata.aspx

    ReplyDelete